Conditions of Participation
Registration deadline: December 31, 2023
The Second International Lied Competition "Bolko von Hochberg" will take place between 26 and 31 May 2024.
FIRST ROUND at Miejski Dom Kultury in Zgorzelec: 26, 27, 28 May 2024
SEMIFINALS in the Gerhart Hauptmann Theater in Görlitz: May 30, 2024
FINALE in the Gerhart-Hauptmann-Theater in Görlitz: May 31, 2024
Winners Concert (to be clarified): Sunday 2 June 2024
Eligible are professional singers accompanied by their pianists of any nationality between the ages of 20 and 40 (born between January 1, 1984 and December 31, 2004) for the singers and from 20 years for the pianists.
The participation is at own expense.
The participation fee is €40 per duo, to be paid into the society’s account (via an euro-account):
Ars Augusta e.V.
IBAN: DE54 85 0501 0002 3205 0392
The participation fee cannot be refunded.
To register for the competition, the registration online-form below should be completed by December 31, 2023 (11:59 p.m.) and sent to the following e-mail together with the following documents.
Documents to hand in:
1. Registration via the online form (to link),
2. Current artistic short biography (up to 700 characters) as a Word file in German or English. Please, no tabular biographies,
3. Recent representative photography (of good quality),
4. Further link to a current demo recording (two videos- Recordings from song/opera/oratorio).
Please ONLY links to the YouTube or Vimeo platform.
5. Scan of an ID card.
6. Proof of payment of the admission fee (40 €)
- The results of the first selection will be announced by December 25, 2023.
- We can help the selected artists to find suitable accommodation in Görlitz-Zgorzelec.
- The participants in the competition will be given the opportunity to use rehearsal rooms in Görlitz and Zgorzelec.
- By registering, the artists agree to an audio and video recording of their presentation and the use of this presentation for promotional and press purposes. These recordings and the photographic material are not of a commercial nature and can later be requested by the participants and used for their own purposes.
1st prize: €6,000
2nd prize: €4,000
3rd prize: €2,000
Special prize for the best piano accompaniment: €1,000
Several special prizes (to be announced by the end of 2023)
Professor Alexander Schmalcz
Pianist and Lied accompanist, University of Music and Performing Arts, Leipzig
Professor Britta Schwarz
Alt, University of Music and Performing Arts, Dresden
Artistic director of the "Schubertiada" festival in Barcelona.
Bass-baritone, artistic director of the Silesian Music Festival
Prof. Ewa Biegas
Soprano, Academy of Music"Karol Szymanowski" in Katowice, Poland
Conductor, Artistic Director of the Festival "Belle Voci" and "Masters of Prayer" Festival of Spiritual Song.
Chairman, Society of Friends of Music, Megaron Mousikis Athinon (Athens)
Soprano, artistic direction Ars-Augusta e.V.
The participants in the competition should choose a program of about 40min duration from the following list. Transpositions are allowed, as well as the selection of individual songs from cycles. The songs must be performed from memory and in the original language.
For the first round four songs are to be prepared (about 15-20min):
a. A Schubert song (in German)
b. A song in Italian (Schubert, Rossini or Beethoven)
c. A song in French (Duparc, Paladilhe or Hahn)
d. A song after poetry of Shakespeare
At the beginning, the participants have to recite two songs of their choice. The jury then proposes a third or possibly a fourth song.
Semi-finals and finals:
One 20-minute program each, selected by the jury.
The theme of the 2024 edition is "Orpheus: The Spirit of the Renaissance".